Plenty of motor vehicles still employ the mechanism of shifter cable to link shifter handle with the transmission hierarchy.
Now, revolving around the type of gear transmission, i.e., automatic or manual, the need of shifter cable is varied.
E.g. For manual gear transmission, there are two shifter cables set in place; however, for automatic gear transmission, one shifter cable is enough.
The job of shifter cable is indifferent whatever be the mode of transmission. However, most of the vehicle manufacturers tend to adhere to above formula citing performance measures.
Moving on, the durability and standard mode of operation always come into picture when the vehicle has become old enough to get you worried.
Time does a hefty lot of things to the vehicles, ranging from the vehicle’s ignition sound lastly till the final handbrake.
The same goes for gear shift cable as well, hence gear shift cable replacement is imperative if your vehicle is suffering under the ramifications of jammed transmission for quite some time.
But, to test what exactly is the root of the problem, i.e., transmission system or gear shift cable is strongly recommended before undertaking any further steps.
Let’s now discuss what exactly is the purpose of gear shift cable and why it fails sometimes?
● The shift lever is generally linked with the main valve of the transmission architecture.
● As you move the shifter handle while driving, there are several tosses and turns that happen within your vehicle’s internal architecture, which you are yet unaware of.
● The shifter cable is used while you are putting down the gear in reverse.
● In manual transmission vehicles, there are two shift levers, namely, horizontal and vertical.
● The horizontal lever is triggered in use when you move the shifter handle towards the front or rear of the vehicle, but if the case is of left or right movement, the vertical lever is widely applicable.
● As you might have already guessed, the shifter cable fails due to continuous stretching originating from pulls, push and releases.
The manual transmission vehicles are more prone or susceptible to the shifter cable failures as the frequency of shifting is almost overwhelming as compared with the automatic transmission system.
There are further breaking or bending that causes the shifter cable to prevent shift lever from reaching right down the optimal gear position.
With these insights in mind, you are now ready to buy gear shift cable replacement and have a fun time taking your baby out for a spin.
Author’s Bio: The author is an avid reader and this article is about gear shift cable replacement.