A transmission shifter cable, also called shifter cable, is the link between the shifter handle and the transmission in a vehicle. It helps the driver in changing the gear while driving. There is only one cable in automatic transmission vehicles that runs from the transmission to the shifter assembly. On the other hand, the vehicles having manual transmission vehicles operate with two cables. If you are finding a problem in shifting gear while driving, then it can be due to faulty transmission shifter cable.
You can watch for the following symptoms to know if your transmission shift cable is failing:
1. Grinding or chatter noise: If you hear a grinding noise or chatter during gear shifting, then it implies that the linkage is not properly engaged to the transmission system. This means that the shifter cable is loose, worn, or stretched. Moreover, the vehicle can also make these noises if the stretcher cable is not adjusted properly.
2. Indicator light not matching the gear: If the indicator light does not match the gear you are in, it implies that there is a problem with transmission shift cable. This happens when the shift cable becomes stretched and does not move to the correct spot. In that case, you should replace the shift selector cable with a mechanic, so that your indicator notes the correct reading.
3. The car will stall: Upon releasing the clutch during manual transmission, if the shifter cable does not engage the next gear, then the car will jump and stall. This happens when the shifter cable of a car is overstretched. This a clear signal that you need to replace your shifter cable.
4. Gear lever will become stiff: The gear lever of your vehicle will become stiff if the transmission shift cable needs replacement. This occurs when the debris of the road builds up on shifter cable. A stiff shifter cable will result in more force from the driver to shift gears. It can also prevent the driver from operating the reverse gear.
5. The vehicle does not start in neutral or park gear: You need to consult a mechanic if your vehicle is not starting in the park or neutral gear. The mechanic will check the gear system of your car and tell you if the problem lies with the shift interlock solenoid or with the shift selector cable. Thereafter, you should do the necessary replacements as advised by the mechanic so that the gear system of your car functions properly.
If you see any of these symptoms in your car, then you should get its transmission shifter cable repaired with the help of a trained mechanic. You can also replace your transmission shift cable bushing with the help of a mechanic at an affordable price.